Are you interested in Joining Stittsville Scouts?
Well you’ve come to the right place!
1st Stittsville Scouts is always happy to welcome new youth and adults. There are three registration opportunities each year:
- Spring Advance Registration (June for Fall Year)
- Fall Registration Night (September)
- Mid-Year Registration (Any time after Feb 15)
Outside of those times, you can still to join by contacting the 1st Stittsville Group Commissioner.
Beavers: Age 5 to 7yrs
Cubs: Age 8 to 10yrs
Scouts: Age 11 o 13yrs
Venturers: Age 14 to 17yrs
Exceptions to the age guidelines can be made based on maturity and/or special needs of the individual involved. Such exceptions should be discussed with the Group Commissioner.
There are numerous sections meeting on various weekday evenings, please consult our Contacts & Location page for details.
1st Stittsville Scout Group believe finances should not be a barrier to participation. For options on subsidies or deferred payments based on the families financial situation, please contact the Group Commissioner.
Choice of program night is subject to the following priorities:
- First priority is given to youth returning to a section from the previous year,
- Second priority is given to returning youth on the same program night as last year (e.g. Thursday Pack to Thursday Troop),
- Beyond the above, priority is given on the order in which the registration are received (first come, first served)
Depending on enrollment, other nights may be added.
Scouts Canada has recently introduced online registration to enable faster and easier, paperless registration. To use online registration:
1) You need to create an MyScouts account using your email address (go to www.myScouts.ca and select the “Request A Password” link in the middle of the page. You will need to provide a password to use with your account.
2) Once the account is created, you’ll receive an email. This normally takes just a few minutes
3) Log back into MyScouts and select the “Register A Member” option. You can then select the section and night you want to register yourself as a leader or your children as participants.
The system will allow you to pay using traditional internet methods of payment.
If you prefer to register in person at the registration nights, please go to this web site and print out and complete the forms at the bottom of the page as indicated below:
For For Youth, please complete the Member Registration Form.
For Beavers, please complete the Physical Fitness Form as well.
For Leaders, please complete the Volunteer Registration Form. Leaders also need to complete Police Records Check request.
Completed paperwork and registration fee should be given to the leader of the section you wish to join or the 1st Stittsville Group Commissioner.
Spring Registration: $210 (May 1st to Jun 15)
Fall Registration Fees: $215 (Jun 15 to Jan 31st)
Mid Year Registration: $100 (Feb 1st to May 1st)
The fee includes $40 fundraising deposit. If the youth participates in Scouts Popcorn fundraising and sells $120 of product, the $40 is reimbursed around the end of the year. Cheques should be payable to 1st Stittsville Scouting.
A Child Fitness Tax Receipt is provided for the full registration amount.
Note that the Fee for the 2014/15 Scouting year have not yet been established, and may differ from the 2013/2014 fees shown above.
Fall and Spring registrations can be refunded up to the end of September of the current year.
Scouting is a volunteer run organizations, and we are always looking for energetic and enthusiastic parents to join us as leaders. Past experience is not required, and we provide all the necessary training and mentoring to introduce and integrate new leaders to Scouting.
In an effort to further increase youth safety and security in Scouting programs, Scouts Canada has implemented a new requirement that leaders must have the following items completed before they provide programs to the youth:
- Adult Registration Form
- Completed Volunteer Screening Form including Reference Checks
- A valid Police Records Check for the Vulnerable Sector
- Child Youth Safety and AODA Training (both provided through e-learning)
- Woodbadge 1 for any leader entering their second year of leadership in the movement (again e-learning or interactive)
The lead time on some of these items can take 8-12 weeks so we need to get leaders enrolled in the Spring so we can have enough time to get all of the screening done.
There are no costs associated with leader registrations and if we have insufficient leaders, we will need to limit the number of youth that can participate in programs (and in the worst case reduce program nights). If you are interested in becoming a leader (or if you are planning on staying on for another year), please take the time to register this Spring.